Small Delicacies

I would like to inform my Ol' Three Faithful Readers that yesterday, March 30th 2005, was a glorious day. On a day like that at aproximately 16:30 I came into this world. A blessing to some, a curse to others. But mostly a blessing.

It was a very good day. A day of small, subtle, yet great details. Ironically, the first Happy Birthday e-mail or notice I got came from Overclock.net. I found it nice that, though it was most probably nothing more than a stored procedure in a MySQL database, they took the time to add it and congratulate forum members. Thanks guys!

I woke up, the smell of the bottled up oxygen in my lungs. It was at that moment I realized my roomie and I had to open the window for a while, or else we would die in our own carbon monoxide. Non-galantly I showered, dressed up and went to my first class, Compilers, only to find out my teacher (who happens to be my career director) also celebrates her birthday on 03/30. Funny, hehehe.

Then came another pleasant, great detail on my B-Day: The visit to the dentist. Hahahaha, only I make an appoiment with the dentist on that very day to have my braces set. Oooooh yeah. I love the pain. Somehow I enjoy my visits to the dentist, but that is a story for another day my good Ol' Three Faithful Readers, a story I will title: "The New Pleasure."

The God of Lighting phoned me up after that. I was driving while he sang "Happy Birthday to you," so there was a complete mix of feeling in me between: happyness and road-rage anger against the old lady pulling her screwed up oldsmobile against my lane. But I survived the look-ma-no-hands stunt. It was something to remember! Hehehe.

And then, the moment I am sure my Ol' Three Faithful Readers are waiting for: the monologue constest results... I got back to My Four Walls... drops of anxious sweat running down my forehead... I'd left Jessy on and in my Gmail account... I turn on the monitor. There it is, three new e-mails in my Inbox: One from a friend, another from my parents, and lastly one with the monologue elimination results. Coldly, I stood in my place, staring at the screen with a blank mind. I read the other two e-mails first as if trying to easy my mind: obviously congratulations from a friend and my parents. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath that filled my lungs with oxygen and clicked the Inbox button... and finally... the dreaded yet expect e-mail.

Okay, where are the results? I see no list. I almost explode in a fit of rage as I discover there's an attached Word document. Click, downloading. Those five seconds it took 408KB to download seemed an eternity to me. I swear I could see each and every bit going down the ethernet cable, mocking me as they walk as slow as they can, ooops! An ACK lost, must do a callback, friggin' sliding window. Here comes the new packet, all covered up with present paper and a bow. I bite my tongue and try to think of... of my stomach that's convulsing inside of me, almost coming out through my belly button.

Finally, the document downloads. And there it lays, sitting in my desktop. A smile of... of what? Joy? Horror? Nervousness? Love? Fear? Maybe all of them mixed up together, compressed, waiting to come out with a bang. *BANG* So I close my eyes and double click the document... hum... no hard drive noise... no movement... crap, I missed the icon when I closed my eyes. I carefully position the pointer right in the middle of it... and... close my eyes again... click... click... I open my eyes and there it is in my BenQ FP767v2 17" Monitor with its stunning fast 16ms response time, the judge's veredict: the finalists.

I'm in it.

And right about that moment I realize that I have not been breathing. My brain yells at me "Give me some oxygen or you'll pass out, bump your head, have a concussion and when you wake up amnesia will have puts its sweet arms around you." So what do I do? I yell out in happyness: "Hell poopie yeah!"

And then breathe.

Further up in the day, I slept in my theater class. Got more congratulations and the such. Until late at night we go to dinner at Bennigan's. Ooooo... a sweet carbohydrate, fat charged but tasty Monte Cristo awaits for me (and still waits, as 1/4 of it still resides in my fridge). Few things in the world make me remember there is a God and that sometimes he smiles and gives us mere mortals much joys in the world such as the Monte Cristo.

Next day I woke up with diarrhea... bet you did not want to know that. I do not blame it on the Monte Cristo though, but on the squishy sandwich I ate before that at the school cafeteria. And even if it had been the Monte Cristo, then those thirty or so minutes lost in the bathroom are more than a fair price for such pleasure the Monte Cristo gives my frail and mortal body.

Tomorrow, Friday April 1st, is the Monologue Contest Finals. Many people ask me if I'm going to participate in it. I so eloquently answer: "No, I'm not going to participate in it. I'm going to win it."

And by the jolly good bollocks of Mr. Monkey Pants in the back a van down by the river, I will!

1 comments:

  Caesar

6:08 AM

< gandalf voice > Thou shall not blame the Count of Montecristo for summoning the Vengenace of Moctezuma over your stomach! < /gandalf voice >

Just keep on blaming it on the school's food like everybody else.

Anyway, congrats on the monologues thing dude, good luck on the finals.

Caesar over and out.